1.Name: Layne Kendig
2. AKA - Nickname(s): Q, Dinsdale Hedgehog.
3. Band member since: March 1979 to May 1985, January 1986 to August 1986,
fill-in keyboardist when necessary.
4. The primary function I serve in the band was as: Early years – shared
responsibility of providing and transporting the Shure Vocal Master with Kurt,
played keyboards, created various melodic (my opinion only) sounds with my
saxophone, played harmonica, prepared set lists, pilfered political signs, drove
the truck, sang a bit, and concocted many drinks with very high concentrations of
5. I can also fumble my way through: assembling Mike’s keyboards and rack
equipment and playing chopsticks with my elbows.
6. I started playing music when I was: Sax 5th grade, piano 9th grade.
(still wish I took lessons…and so does everybody else!)
7. I started playing music because: It was a great way to meet girls…at least in
9th grade and in Daytona Beach it was!
8. Besides POE, I currently perform and/or have performed in these other
bands: Before POE there were numerous garage bands in Wickliffe, Eastlake
and Willowick, the most memorable being “Destiny” with Glenn Turk, Randy
Cumos, Matt Henderlick and my brother Kurt!
9. Music is a fun hobby. But in real life, I prefer that my co-workers never find
out about my sordid past so I have chosen to leave this blank.
10. Outside of performing with the band, I have a life. In my personal life, I
am completely devoted to my wife (the boss) and kids (the other bosses) and
enjoy watching my children participate in as many activities as they can handle.
11. When not performing in a band I like to… read, listen to music, and put
more additions on the deck in the backyard.
12. My thoughts on Pieces of Eight are… what a great way to have spent my
teen and young adult years and who threw that corncob?
13. My favorite band related saying is… “morning bats…that’s all we need”
14. My favorite memory of being in the band over the years is probably… The
first trip and week spent in Daytona Beach. Somehow I’m able to remember
every detail of that week…especially meeting my wife “to be”…although I don’t
ever remember having breakfast, lunch or dinner the entire time we were in
Daytona…anybody have any more Malibu???
15. Oh, I almost forgot, I wanted to add… I really love you guys!
Now tell Sosic to write one of these bios……..